Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Art as a language



As our TOK presentation, we decided to show how art, has always, and still is a language. We focused on non-verbal language and four different types of art: drawing, acting, music and cinematography. Throughout the presentation, we tried to include the audience as much as we could but we were also striving to explain the link between art and language with four well-developed examples.

Therefore, in order to have a variety of examples, we decided to split ourselves into smaller groups. Each group was able to focus specifically in one topic but at the same time we created a cohesive and educational presentation. Additionally, considering our group was not always together during the planning, I believe our teamwork was remarkably good. We helped each other when we needed to test an activity, we gave feedback to others when they wanted to check whether they were being clear in an explanation, and we gave our opinions on what had to be improved. Similarly, I believe my own work within the group was good. I helped whenever I could to not only John and Paula, who were the people in my smaller group, but to anyone that needed my help. As a result, we managed to divide the work, research, and organise the presentation as a whole to create a logic sequence of ideas that would be easier to understand for the audience.

An aspect I would change about this presentation is the track of time. At the end of our presentation, we realised we did not have the enough time as we wished to describe our last ideas and clarify our conclusion. Hence, we were force to rush through some ideas and avoided some details. Although this did not impeded us to convey the message as a whole, we were not able to give some facts that might have appeal the audience even more into the topic. Therefore, next time I would be more careful with the time spent in each activity so all of them get the sufficient time to be completed.

Finally, I consider this project to be an enriching experience. I learnt the importance of listening and considering others opinions since they can surprise you with their originality. Additionally, it taught me to appreciate the hard work that is necessary to engage an audience into a topic that might not be as interesting to them. Basically, I lived the same challenge a teacher faces when a new topic is introduced and there is a chance no one will be interested. However, I enjoyed the various stages of this project and I am happy with the results.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your reflections. It is clear that you got a lot out of working on this project, and that you have found areas that you would improve next time. Time management is alway a tricky thing to be aware of - as when one is presenting time can often seem to stand still.

    Well done.

    Mr. Tomalin

    ReplyDelete